Wilmington Tourist Attractions for the Holidays
Delaware living at Darley Green
November is technically considered the “off-season” for touring Wilmington homes for sale. Yet, it’s the perfect opportunity for house hunters to shop the deals and get into a cozy, central location just in time for the holidays. Not only will there be a better space for families to entertain guests over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years gatherings, but newly-minted homeowners will also enjoycloser proximity to the wonderful local tourist attractionsthis time of year brings.
Wilmington tourist attractions for 2013-2014 holiday season
One needn’t look far to find the spirit of Christmas in Wilmington and the surrounding area! Here are a few of the most beloved Wilmington tourist attractionsthat residents can enjoy from November through January:
- Hotel du Pont’s Green Room – Hotel du Pont offers a luxurious, historic atmosphere with ornate wood-paneled walls and rich red velvet tapestries. They offer a formal Thanksgiving dinner and a Thanksgiving buffet on November 28th, as well as a Brunch with Santa and Nutcracker-themed foodie weekend.
- Downtown Wilmington Christmas Parade– This year marks the 50th annual Jaycees Christmas Parade, taking place on Saturday, November 30th at 3 pm, featuring celebrities, marching bands, floats and Santa himself.
- Brandywine River Museum – See artwork, rare antique dolls, a 2,000-foot model train display and thousands of hand-crafted “Critter” ornaments.
- Wilmington & Western Railroad– Hop aboard the Holiday Lights Express or the Santa Claus Express on one of the country’s oldest steam-powered locomotives.
- Old Swedes Church– Visit the church for the annual December Sankta Lucia celebration, which includes a religious ceremony, refreshments and tours of the Hendrickson House Museum, which is specially decked out in traditional Swedish Christmas decorations.
- Winterthur Museum– During the holiday months, the museum presents a heart-warming one-man rendition of A Christmas Carol this holiday season, performed by the great-great-grandson of Charles Dickens himself!
Spend a day of Christmas fun in Brandywine Valley
The Wilmington Convention & Visitors Bureau recommends this enjoyable one-day holiday itinerary available from the day after Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve:
- Start at Hagley Museum and Libraryto see elegant holiday decorations displayed on a breathtaking 235-acre riverside estate built in 1802. Guided tours will share details of historic holiday celebrations in Brandywine Valley.
- Grab a light lunch in Greenville Center, Greenville Crossing or Powder Mill Square – just one mile away. Options include: Pizza by Elizabeths, Brew Ha Ha!, Brandywin Brewing Company and Cromwell’s.
- From there, tax-free shopping opportunities within walking distance include fine gifts at the Enchanted Owl, gourmet treats at Janssen’s Market or Wilmington Country Store, stationary at Apropros, cosmetics at Houpette, furnishings at Something’s Unique, fashionable attire at Peter Kate, and much more.
- Next, sightseers can visit Winterthur, the premier museum of American decorative arts. The Yuletide Tour exposes visitors to past traditions and dazzling holiday displays.
- Dinner at Buckley’s Tavernfeatures modern versions of classic 1800s meals set beside cozy wood-paneled walls and a toasty fireplace.
- Wrap up the day at Longwood Gardens, which features 11,000 types of plants on 1,077 acres of gardens – including four acres of indoor gardens. The annual Christmas Spectacular boasts 500,000 lights, dancing fountains and the most beautiful floral displays imaginable.
New Wilmington homes for sale
Darley Green's new homes are close to a thriving community full of fun holiday events for singles, couples, families and retirees alike. Whether you want easy access to holiday shopping, artistic performances or dazzling winterscapes, you can find it all just outside your door when you live at Darley Green.
Come have a look at sophisticated condos and townhomes with energy efficient appliances, two-car garages and gourmet kitchens at below-market prices, starting in the low $200s. Model homes are shown daily from 11 AM to 6pm or by appointment at 302.655.2600.