New Homes In Wilmington Appeal to History Buffs
New homes in Wilmington attract history lovers
The master-planned community of townhouses and condominiums at Darley Green situates homeowners 10 minutes from Wilmington, DE, which is chock-full of unparalleled historical attractions. Old Town Hall is one of the most beloved relics in Wilmington, Delaware, built in 1789. “Town hall meetings are really an opportunity to engage in two-way dialogue with people,” says Governor Jack Markell, “and they’ve been very helpful.”
The historic building hosted public court proceedings and closed-door city council meetings. State dinners for Andrew Jackson and Marquis de Lafayette were held there as well. The deaths of George Washington and Henry Clay were commemorated there.
By World War I, the Old Town Hall had trouble keeping up with the grueling pace for official meetings. Rather than knocking it down, community benefactors bought the building in 1916 and preserved it for all to enjoy as the local historical society museum. This is just one example of the many historic treasures that can be found in Wilmington, Delaware.
History is alive in Wilmington
If you love history, you may want to visit these celebrated landmarks:
- Nemours Mansion and Gardens– The grandest residence in DE, featuring antiques and gardens.
- Hagley Museum and Library– The site of E. I. du Pont’s 1802 gunpowder works company.
- Grand Opera House– An opulent landmark that opened in 1871 as the Masons’ Grand Lodge.
- Delaware Art Museum– A 1902 museum with the largest collection of pre-Raphaelite artwork.
- Wilmington and Western Railroad– Steam-diesel trains travel the scenic Red Clay Valley.
- Rockwood Museum–A marvelous rural Gothic mansion filled with precious treasures.
- Kalmar Nyckel Foundation– A recreation of the ship that brought Swedes to Delaware in 1638.
- Historic New Castle– A charming colonial town steeped in history at every inn, shop and eatery.
- Greenbank Mills & Philips Farm– A 300-year-old waterwheel grist mill, textile mill and farm site.
- Fort Delaware– A moated Civil War fort with an award-winning living history program.
National register of historic places in Wilmington
The National Register of Historic Places lists 82 buildings in Wilmington, Delaware. You’ll find Wilmington was always a hub of industry, with old paper mills, cotton mills, leather companies and printing shops here. It was also an important hub for military activity — as you’ll see by Fort Delaware and the Continental Army Encampment Site – and a sacred place to worship God, which is evidenced by the countless historic churches. You can see the stately manors of rich diplomats, as well as the ever-important old transportation centers responsible for moving people, goods and ideas.
Walking through Wilmington is a dream come true for architecture buffs who can see excellent examples of Federal, Classical, Gothic, and Victorian architecture.
New homes in Wilmington & condos for sale in Delaware
It’s nice to live near beautiful old relics from the past that have been lovingly maintained and preserved by the community. However, it can be very expensive and time-consuming to preserve one of these historic homes yourself. Most of today's homebuyers want to minimize maintenance and spend all the time they can enjoying their downtime and local attractions, without worrying about fixing a leaky pipe or re-roofing.
New move-in ready townhomes and condos for sale in Delawareat Darley Green embody the perfect answer. If you are looking for new homes in Wilmingtonor the surrounding area, you can enjoy a new home offering up to 2,500 square feet of space with a variety of unique floor plans, all at prices starting in the $200s. The three-story townhomes and two-floor condos come with all maintenance included, so there is no need to ever mow a lawn or shovel snow again. Walk-in closets, energy-efficient utilities and gourmet kitchens are some of the standard features at Darley Green. Best of all, the community is walk-able, with restaurants, a library, shops, and jogging trails just steps away.